Friday, January 10, 2014

Is there really such a thing as too many books? Or just not enough bookcases?

So I was sitting at my desk writing up a review of a book I had just finished reading when out of the corner of my eye, I caught some movement.  Sure enough, the top two shelves in one of my bookcases had suddenly collapsed.  I shouldn't have been surprised, the bottom shelf had already collapsed last Sunday.  So today, I need to do some rearranging and maybe some purging.  But what to purge?  The two top shelves are almost all WW2 kids books from England and Germany written in the 1940s.  I can't get rid of them, can I?  And then there are the newly published books from Girls Gone By Publishers of 1940s novels I couldn't otherwise.  I can't get rid of them, can I?  What to do?






The bookcase isn't ruined, I just have to change the little pegs that hold each shelf, bit I think I forced too many book on each shelf - a double row of books on each one and a really tight fit.  Lesson learned!  So now, it is off to Ikea again.  Drat!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your bookshelf. I don't think you should get rid of any of your books (treasures). I think you need more bookcases (or super sturdy ones). I hope you found what you needed at IKEA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made the right move. IKEA. Suck it up, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ikea it is. I didn't think I could part with these hard to find books. But I did come across a few I had forgotten about and haven't reread in a long time. Stephanie, you are right, they are my treasures. Joyce, you are right, too. I will have to suck it up because I hate going to IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get rid of books? Never! I keep them in boxes if necessary until I can get my hands on more shelves; it always takes a while to get a new shelf because we only get oak bookcases (typically unfinished, since they're cheaper that way, though still kind of pricey) due to sturdiness. Haven't had any of those shelves bow yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, that's such a bummer. Glad you're keeping the books :) you're their mama now.

    ReplyDelete