Saturday, January 8, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday #1 on Saturday: a little late for the dance!


The Bookish and the Broke has a weekly meme called Top Ten Tuesday, in which participants list their top ten answers to the weekly theme.  This week the theme is the Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2011.  Thank you for this great meme.

My choices are as follows:

1- Skippy Dies Paul Murray
So many good things were said about this book by different bloggers and I love an intriguing mystery.

2- A Place to Die Dorothy James
This is also a mystery written by my former professor who told me the last time I saw her she was going to do this. It also got good blogger reviews. And it was a Christmas present.

3- The Ninth War Jewell Parker Rhodes
Charlotte of Charlotte's Library wrote about this book and her post was too tempting to pass up.

4- Leviathan Scott Westerfeld
I never was really aware of Steampunk before, so I thought I would give this one a go.

5- The Sandman Book of Dreams Neil Gaiman
What list is complete without one of the masters?

6- The Wee Free Men Terry Pratchett
Another master, I can’t resist Pratchett any more than I can Gaiman.

7- The Mysterious Benedict Society Trenton Lee Steward
I promised a ten year old I would read this, so we could discuss it. I try never to break a promise to a kid.

8- Speak Laurie Halse Anderson
Just because it was so controversial last year.

9- The Dressmaker of Khair Khana: five sisters, One Remarkable Family and the Woman Who Risked Everything to Keep Them Safe Gayle Tzemach Lemmon
I read an early review by a blogger on this and have enjoyed books about this region in the past. This one sound intriguing.

10- As Always, Julia: the Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto Julia Child
Not because I am a cook, or because I loved Meryl Streep in Julie & Julia but because I really have enjoyed everything I have ever tasted from Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It pays to live with a good cook.

These are in no particular order and number 9 won’t even be available until March 15th. I can honestly say that many of these books were chosen because of reviews I read on various blogs and in the NY Times Book Review. I have read other books recommended by fellow bloggers and have never been steered in the wrong direction yet. So keep up the good work!

There are other books I want to read, but these are first and foremost, except, of course, what I read for my blog.

I should also add that I have signed up for Comment Challenge 2011.  This ides of this challenge is to leave 5 comments a day for 21 days, beginning on January 6th.  It is hosted by Mother Reader and so far I have found many new and interesting blogs, as well as a few old favorites.  Thank you, Mother Reader, for this great challenge.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting to my blog.

    Your list looks great. I read Leviathan last year, and now I'm working on the second book, Behemoth. I knew nothing of steampunk going into it, but they are awesome books. Scott Westerfeld is amazing. And Speak is another good one. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My book club read the Benedict Society book, and we invited my nine year to come along since he had read it. It made for an interesting meeting! (Yes, it's an adult book club, but we read anything we want, including kidlit.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, Katie and Beth. I can't wait to start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I just read Speak recently, also because of the debate broiling and I enjoyed it tremendously. Good luck, these are awesome book resolutions:)

    ReplyDelete