Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #6 - Top Ten Books I Would Play Hooky With


It's Top 10 Tuesday, hosted at The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is
Top Ten Books I Would Play Hooky With

And here are my choices:

1- All the Peter Whimsey books by Dorothy Sayers, because I just love Lord Peter and with him comes Bunter - what adventures. 


2- Ulysses by James Joyce, because I would love to walk around Dublin for a day with Leopold Bloom again.

3- The Chalet School series by Elinor Brent-Dyer because I never went to boarding school and The Chalet School sounds like so much fun, not like school work at all.

4- The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett- Nick and Nora Charles, what a great couple to hang around with drinking martinis.

5- Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, because I would like to time travel back to England in the twenties.

6- The Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling because I am basically a realist, so Harry takes me away from that for a while.

7- Midnight’s Children by Salmon Rushdie because if Harry is magical, this book is pure magical realism.

8- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak because I totally understand the whys of the need to read.

9- Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk because reading this book under my desk saved me from a horrible seventh grade year.

10- Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery because my mom gave it to me when I was very sick in fourth grade and I just love it.

11 comments:

  1. Great list, especially number 4 and 5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ULYSSES? Interesting. I've never read it, but there are some very divided opinions about that book. Some hate it with a passion, but others like you want to play hooky with it!

    THE THIN MAN, like THE PRINCESS BRIDE is a movie that I enjoy but I've never read the original novel. I really need to put that on my TBR list.

    Good list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colin. I have always wanted to go to Dublin and trace Bloom's day there. Hope it happens some day soon. Try The Thin Man someday, Hammett was a great writer.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, I think Harry is definitely worth playing hooky with. I thought your list was great, too.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Book Thief is such a great read. Would love for you to stop by and check out my Top Ten. Now following you with GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. The Book Thief is one of my all time favorites.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on 1. and 5. Marjorie Morningstar - oh my gosh, I haven't thought of that book in years. In December when I was a kid, we would go to a house where my parents' friends lived. The two things I remember most is the bubble lights on the tree, and the bookcase from which I borrowed their copy of MM. I ought to check it out again. It's been fifty some years since I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not surprised by your liking 1. That is an interesting story about MM. I gave it to my daughter to read, who loved it, and then I reread it. I enjoyed it more this time, I guess because I was older. It isn't exactly a YA book for a 7th grader, is it? Oh well, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete