Friday, October 28, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: What’s the hardest/most challenging book you’ve ever read?

I know this is a day late, but I liked the question this week and decided to answer it. This week Booking Through Thursday asked the following:


What’s the hardest/most challenging book you’ve ever read? Was it worth the effort? Did you read it by choice or was it an assignment/obligation?

The most challenging book I have ever read is Anna Karenina.  In 2004, it was an Oprah selection for summer reading and I thought I would give it a go.  But there is a section in this book about mowing that I just could not get through.  I read four other novels while I plowed through the mowing chapter.  But in the end, it was totally worth the effort and I was glad I had actually read every single word of Anna Karenina

And if anyone one wants to read it, Oprah still has a lot of value information up on Oprah's Book Club for understanding this book.

2 comments:

  1. Mine is also by Leo Tolstoy---War and Peace. I salute you for reading Anna Karenina from start to end. In my case, I only managed three pages and never got past Chapter One. Shame on me, definitely. I picked War and Peace for a class writing assignment, thinking I should challenge my reading preferences. And challenged it was. Now, I regret to say War and Peace is at the far end of my shelf. >sigh<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I've never tackled War and Peace, but it is on the bookcase. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete